Author: Dee
•10:23 AM
I know it's been a while since I've been here but I'm back and ready to start educating again. This time around I won't limit my focus to lung diseases but to all aspects of health care. With a little knowledge I can be dangerous so watch out. Honestly the reality is, I feel that a lot of what is out there is written in a way that can be confusing so I hope to be able to interpret that to make it easier to understand.

A couple of areas where I'm gaining more knowledge that I ever thought I needed was Auto-immune diseases and Diabetes. Auto-immune diseases are running rampant in my family and I was diagnosed last year with Rheumatoid Arthritis and 3 months ago with Diabetes.

So, what I'd really like to talk about today is the importance of being your own health care advocate. After all, if you don't look out for and speak up for yourself nobody else will. You are the one who knows your body best and you know when things just aren't right and don't let anyone, especially your doctor blow you off when you know deep down that there is something wrong. Keeping quiet may put you in danger or worse kill you.

This is something I have first hand knowledge of and I'm going to share my story with you to prove my point.

As I said, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis last year after years of stiff, painful joints that was blown off as arthritis and being overweight. My hands would swell up to the point I couldn't use them and I started developing nodules. Finally my doc asked if anyone in the family had RA and the answer yes sent up red flags and after testing I was given the great news, I can now join the ranks of those with an auto-immune disease.

Fast forward a year and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Body aches, muscles weak and I'm now sleeping 16-18 hours at night, waking up for bathroom breaks and going back to bed. I've also got some tenderness and itching in the fold of my leg. After a week of this I call my doc to make an appointment but by this time I'm staying awake for longer periods of time so the thinking is, I'm on the mend. Doc thinks it's an RA flare and runs some tests. The next day I realize I'm drinking water like crazy and running to the bathroom every 20 minutes. My vision is now getting very blurry where I can't see the computer screen or watch TV. The yeast infection that started in my leg fold is now running up my backside and it hurts to sit. Call doc and tell them a routine blood test done 2 months earlier had my glucose at 189 which doc said was normal though I'm now thinking he's full of it. I called my doc 3 times before I finally get someone to listen to me and I tell them my mom was diabetic, my glucose on a previous blood test was elevated and I've got all the symptoms of diabetes. The doc says my Sed Rate and CRP which are both indicators of inflammation are elevated and he wants me to start on steroids. This time I insist on being tested for diabetes and to appease me and get me to stop calling I'm told I can go in the next day for a finger stick.

The next morning I'm at the docs office and they do an A1c which is a test that gives the average glucose in a % for the past 3 months. Normal is 4-6 and mine is over 10. Now I haven't seen the doc at all but the nurse calls me into a little room, hands me a monitor and says "welcome to the world of diabetes." They gave me a prescription and a piece of paper with Diabetic Diet across the top and the following directions:

  • Limit Carbs
  • Eat meals at the same time every day
  • Eat snacks at the same time every day
  • A list of "free foods"
  • A list of some exchanges for casseroles

There was nothing else on the paper and no other instructions. I wasn't told what my target glucose reading is, how many carbs to eat a day. Nothing. I was told to come back in a month because my doc was going out of town the next day.

That night my glucose reading was 388. I was a basket case. I know it needs to come down but how. A friend of mine is an RN and her husband is diabetic. She gave me basic instructions on limiting carbs and what foods I should avoid. I found the diabetic board on iVillage and they were very supportive and helpful.

In addition I spoke with the pharmacist about the steroids the doc wants me to take. I know steroids and diabetes don't go well together and I was right. Steroids can increase the glucose. WAIT A MINUTE!!!. I'm trying to get my glucose down and I'm suppose to take a med that's going to increase it. It's already close to 400, how much higher is it suppose to go. I quickly decline the steroids and tell the pharmacist I won't be picking up that prescription.

The next day I eat breakfast and take the diabetic med and I'm suddenly sick. Nauseated, exhaustion and headache. I sleep a while but when I wake up I call the pharmacist. That's a normal reaction to the med because it's lowering my glucose and my body isn't use to that. I'm told the next time I'm feeling that way to check my glucose. OK, next day same thing happens. Glucose reading 408. WHAT!!! It's suppose to be going down.

After many tears and research I notice by the end of the week my glucose is closer to 200 so I'm doing something right. It's taken 3 months and my glucose is now between 118-140 which I know isn't normal but it's better than 400. I've still got a ways to go but I never went back to that doctor, he was fired on the spot and I now have a new doctor who I found out specializes in diabetes and is going to be teaching a class in his office at the end of the month.

So, at the end of my long story I just want to say, if I hadn't insisted on the doc testing me for diabetes who knows where I'd be right now. I can tell you I don't think I'd be here trying to tell other's the importance of being your own health care advocate. It may save your life.
This entry was posted on 10:23 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On October 11, 2009 at 12:24 PM , Dee@CWM said...

Hi Dee,

I'm glad you were persistent with your doctor. I totally agree with you. Being your own advocate when it comes to your health is very important. I've been in situations where I knew I wasn't feeling right and sensed something was wrong. I've actually been told by Doctors that "it's all in your head", Hello!!! I know pain and pain is NOT normal.

You as an individual knows your body best. If something seems off insist on the doctors listening to you. If the first one doesn't, find someone who will. We have to be smart and persistent when it comes to our health.

Take Care.