Author: Dee
•10:26 AM
With all the talk about the flu and H1N1 everyone's concerned and rightly so. Yes, you can control what you do to try to prevent catching and spreading the bugs but you can't control what other's do. This is something I've always believed but an incident involving a family member the other day really got me to thinking.

A cousin of mine told me how upset she was when she went grocery shopping and was getting some chicken at the deli. There was a young kid waiting on her and the meat was on the scale as he was preparing to bag it. He turned to the side and let out a huge sneeze without trying to cover his mouth. He continued bagging the meat, and walked off sniffling. A second person cut some more products and my cousin asked him to re-cut the meat and throw the earlier stuff away. She's now lost her appetite and is doing the "what if" game.


Now for the tough question: How would you have handled this? I know what I would have done. I would have asked to speak to the manager and explained what happened. I then would have asked that the scale be cleaned with bleach while I watched and someone else cut my meat and bagged it. If I would have gotten any flack I would have asked for names and called the Board of Health. This is against health violations and needs to be reported. Certain viruses can live on cold surfaces and yes, a scale and slicer are cold surfaces as well as countertops and windows, up to 48 hours. The viruses can also live on soft surfaces such as clothing for up to 2 hours. Next is how body fluids are expelled from the body during a sneeze. When you sneeze large and small droplets are expelled into the air. Some of these droplets can travel within a 3-6 foot radius around you infecting everything within that area. Some of the droplets can remain suspended in the air for a while.

If you feel a sneeze coming on don't sneeze into your hands but into your arm or sleeve. This way you're not infecting everything you touch before you can wash your hands. Don't touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth after coughing or sneezing but immediately wash your hands. If you use a tissue, dispose of it immediately. If soap and water isn't available one of the alcohol based hand sanitizers are great but remember to use with caution with small children. Do not allow them to ingest or lick their hands immediately after use due to the alcohol content.

For your enjoyment here's a video put out by the South Australian Department of Health of a sneeze in slow motion. It is graphic and can have a YUCK factor.

This entry was posted on 10:26 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On October 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM , Creative Junkie said...

There is no way in hell I'd buy meat that someone had sneezed on or near. Especially nowadays. I'd have requested different meat on a different scale - but then again, I'd have no way of knowing how many scales were affected?

 
On October 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM , Night Owl Mama said...

ok that video is disgusting. did ya see that guy's lips flappin?

I certainly would of not takin the meat and I would of told him to get me fresh after cleaning the machine.
no room for germs especially with all the weird virus's out there

 
On October 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM , Kim said...

I sneeze into my arm sometimes! I don't know what I would have done, though, w/o seeing it happen. Weirdly enough, I know everyone is worrying & stressing about the flus, but I'm not. If I go anywhere, I don't know what someone who was there before me may have touched. I don't know what one of the other kids will bring to my daughter's school. Chances are pretty good she's going to get it.

 
On October 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM , Faythe said...

I would of done exactly what you said... plus would of told the deli person to 1st go & wash up before serving anyone else.

It is good advice to sneeze or cough into your elbow... your hands touch to much stuff.

 
On October 27, 2009 at 8:33 AM , Amanda said...

That's gross. I wouldn't have taken the meat, asked for a manager, explained the situation, and then gone to a different store. Although if you knew what goes in in restaurant kitchens, you'd never eat out again.

 
On October 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM , Dee@CWM said...

Just from your warning and the previous comment I could not stomach watching the video. What would I have done? Knowing me, I would have not purchased anything at all. I just have a low tolerance for things like that. It's a big turn off for me. After telling him politely thanks but NO THANKS! I would have walked over to the packaged deli meats and continued with my day.

Besides, if he let one out in my presence, I would hate to think what happens when no ones around. :O

 
On October 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM , Staci A said...

How gross! I would done like you said, asked to speak to a manager and explained what happened. Though I'm not sure if I'd want it re-cut or would just leave after talking to them. Not so sure I'd be able to eat any meat from there. I'd be grossed out.

We have the flu now, and it sucks. We also haven't left the house since it hit. There's no need to pass it to anyone else!